Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Daring to Do Nothing


"For six years you are to sow your fields and harvest the crops, but during the seventh year let the land lie unplowed and unused. Then the poor among your people may get food from it, and the wild animals may eat what they leave. Do the same with your vineyard and your olive grove." Exodus 23:10-11.

So I read this article and began wondering how do I go about obtaining a sabbatical? On Father's Day I was at a popular brunch spot in town and a colleague was there with his family. He dropped by to say "Hi" and I discovered that he was on his sabbatical. In a moment of purely unguarded honesty passing off as humor I said I was jealous. Humor is always closest to the truth I think. On September 1st we will begin our 7th year of full-time ministry and after my need to get counseling last summer I am wondering if I'm not due for an extended time of 'refreshing'. Our church has never sent a pastor on a sabbatical. They've never had one work for them full-time for 6 years straight. It's new ground for everyone.

And that hammock looks GREAT!

1 comment:

Rick Shott said...

Do a search on the Imonk blog. He got his sabbatical underwritten by another group to help make it affordable and easier. I think he posted links to it. Something to look at before starting.