Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On Going Green


I was ranting a while ago about things recyclable (or not) here in Flatland. Well on my last visit to our recycling station I discovered that glass was seemingly back on the recycle menu. I'll keep you posted, but if it is true I'll take partial credit - as if! I'm just glad to see that my glass can be sent somewhere useful again.

In this month's issue of Car and Driver there is a 10 page advertising section from Saturn - GM's 'brand with a difference'. In fine print on the first page is a disclaimer that states that the new Aura XE and XR-4 sedans get 33mpg (hwy) - 34 for the hybrid.

WOW!

Is it just me or is owning a hybrid vehicle just a new form of conspicuous consumption wrapped in ecological hypocrisy? ONE WHOLE MPG MORE! PINCH ME!

The whole 'holier than thou' stuff from the eco-nazis has been wearing thin on me already, but now it has manifested itself in creating products that are definitely just a whitewash to help cover someone's conscience and meet some arbitrary goal.

We are gonna break our collective arm patting ourselves on the back over how we are 'going green' while nothing really changes - and I blame the big names in the so-called "Green" movement for this. It is their stridency, their demonization of their favourite targets, their amped-up rhetoric that has led us to this sorry juncture. Now, in order to placate the dragon, we will swallow any trendy thing if it will get the collective conscience off our backs. What was needed was cooperation, innovation and encouragement. What we got was politics, posturing and pontification.

It's not Saturn's fault. This is what the mob is crying for.

Oh, and if you're interested - the Emperor has no clothes too!

No comments: