Thursday, September 11, 2008

Library Additions


I've added The Shack to my reading list. I found it at Shoppers Drug Mart for 25% off so it was cheaper than buying it online. I'll discuss it here soon.

I also just received my copy of Letters From Jesus by Pastor Alan Descheneau. Alan studies the seven churches in Revelation through the specific messages or "letters" they receive from Christ. Al was one of my classmates in seminary. At the very least I should get some motivation to publish something myself. Knowing Al, I'll get much, much more from his work.

I'll be ordering the Treasury of Daily Prayer being released by Concordia Publishing House on October 23rd and the companion book Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions. This may seem odd - a Baptist reading Lutheran theology and using a prayer devotional that is designed around the church year - but, in my opinion, all Protestants are (or should be) children of the Reformation. As Protestants we should know, understand and appreciate Reform Theology. Or are we something other than Protestants?

The Shack has been both lauded as a Christian allegory for the 21st Century and criticized as dangerous heresy masquerading in the guise of fiction. As always, gentle reader, I suggest we decide for ourselves.

So there appears to be some balance in my acquisition strategy, at least until I get my copy of Schlock Mercenary: The Teraport Wars. Then things seem to definitely go a bit askew.

In a related note, Susie and I need new eyeglasses. We hope to see the optometrist next week, and we're praying out coverage will help us see better - affordably. Until then it's onward and squint away!

Shalom!

2 comments:

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

Thanks for your comments about the Treasury of Daily Prayer and the Book of Concord. The peace of Christ be with you!

Michael Rew said...

Read "Quitting Church" by Julia Duin. I work at Barnes & Noble, so I can stay on top of new Christian books. This is the first one that really has me wowed with the potential it has, in its brevity as well as comprehensiveness, to confront churches about the spiritual and emotional blindspots they may have that may be driving otherwise faithful Christians out of their churches...and/or out of church completely.